Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | Spotify | Stitcher | TuneIn | RSS
Kaustubh “Stubhy” Pandav has had a lengthy career in music that’s nearly impossible to categorize. While he’s best known for being the frontman of Lucky Boys Confusion, he’s a songwriter that’s been perfecting his craft for over 20 years, while building up a rock ‘n’ roll resume that can’t be confined to a single band or genre.
We met up at Five Star Bar in Chicago, IL to talk music and beer, and in the process, share Stubhy’s story, from the formation of Lucky Boys Confusion to the writing of their latest record – and first in nearly a decade – Stormchasers. Stubhy doesn’t hold back when discussing the struggles he and the band went through over the years, shedding light on the sometimes-harsh realities of popularity, labels, expectations, and fame.
But, Stubhy also knows his brews. We plow through more drinks than we’ve ever had on the show before, resulting in a beer-and-whiskey-fueled “Tipsy Talk” segment during Round 2 (or 3, or 4, or whatever it is at that point) that is sure to keep you entertained.
Five Star Bar – Chicago, IL
This bar, located on Chicago Ave., is a lounge-y joint with a rock ‘n’ roll vibe. Equipped with a pool table, no-nonsense food, and a “stripper room” (seriously, it’s just the pole, that’s all), this place gets the job done, and has a personable staff of bartenders plus an extensive beer list that put this place over-the-top.
- Stubhy kicks off the episode with a craft beer-inspired story of tour memories in St. Louis, MO at the now-defunct Mississippi Nights.
- We start at the beginning, as Stubhy shares how Lucky Boys Confusion was formed when he and his guitarist Adam Krier joined forces in high school.
- We discuss the challenges and guilt Stubhy associated with their rise to fame in the Chicago music scene, and how it inspired LBC’s early song “One to the Right.”
- Other artists and bands come into the conversation as we cover the differences between Kurt Cobain and John Lennon, and what it means to be punk.
- Stubhy shares the story leading to Lucky Boys Confusion’s break, the impact guitarist Joe Sell’s death, and how Stubhy and Adam came back together in 2014 to start writing music again.
- Adam and Stubhy’s collaboration eventually led to the creation of LBC’s latest album Stormchasers. We discuss why the band had to write the record, what Stubhy hopes fans get – or don’t get – out of the carefully-written album.
- The “Tipsy Talk” begins with an attempted drinking story…
- We talk music, struggle to remember who the band Tragically Hip is, and even make a little music.
- Stubhy wraps up the conversation with some great Chicago-area beer bar knowledge, and how he’s writing fiction stories and developing characters in his latest musical project The Hoodie Life.
- “People don’t make art because they want to get famous. People make art because they have to, or else they explode on the inside.” –Stubhy Pandav
Drinks of the Show:
- Old Crow Whiskey – Some low-cost shootin’ bourbon whiskey…we took one every round
- New Belgium Juicy Haze – One of New Belgium’s Voodoo Ranger brews, this one packs a mix of tropical and citrus flavors.
- 3 Floyds Gumballhead – A citrusy American wheat with a ton of Amarillo hops…this is one of the best brews around!
- Spiteful Demanda Double IPA – The beer that put us over-the-edge (or maybe it was the shots…). Brewed with Citra and Centennial hops.
Stubhy’s Favorite Bars & Breweries on Chicago Ave:
- Revolution Brewing – One of the OG’s of Chicago’s latest wave of the craft beer boom…not on Chicago Ave. though
- Lush Wine & Spirits – A go-to for a cheap date night on Chicago Ave.
- Blind Robin – Cash-only, pinball, and new craft brews. Located at the corner of Chicago and Western.
- Split Rail – Another good date night in West Town. with good brews and food that you’ll certainly have to pay for.
- The Beetle Bar and Grill – Located in Ukrainian Village, they’ve still got good beer, but this one’s a tavern-style space with good pub grub.
- Hopleaf – According to Stubhy, this is the best spot for beer, but it’s way out in Andersonville with no TVs. You drink beer, and eat food. Go somewhere else to watch the Bears game…
Connect/Drink with Stubhy:
Since he’s got such a unique name, you can find Stubhy at the handle @Stubhy on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram…and he will respond!
Visit Five Star Bar:
Five Star Bar is located at 1424 W Chicago Ave, Chicago, IL 60642. Bar hours are 4pm to 2am Monday through Friday, 11am to 3am on Saturdays, and 11am to 2am on Sundays.
All music in this episode is written by Lucky Boys Confusion. Check them out at luckyboysconfusion.net.